Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Soundtrack of my Life

Music has an incredible way of defining my life. Just about every significant moment I've ever experienced is directly linked to a song. I can typically tell how much I feel a chick if certain songs begin to speak to me, as if I'm living vicariously through the artist. In the same breath, I can tell when I'm over someone when the song doesn't hold any more sentimental attachment. If the person was meaningful enough, it will always be there though. Relationship stuff aside, I can remember where I was, what I was wearing, who I was chilling with, and so much more based on music.

I'll never forget the summer of '92 because Pete Rock and CL Smooth's "T.R.O.Y" was THAT joint. The minute those horns came in, I'd lose my mind. I can see myself in that awful colored all over print t-shirt with my gold Guess denim shorts and matching NIKE Diamond Turf's with the gold mesh on the side standing in front of Naptale's house kicking rhymes (I thought I was fly, but I wasn't). I'll never forget watching the video to Shawn Stockman's (of Boyz II Men) solo record and being on the verge of tears around the time I lost my mom. I fell in love for the 1st time while bumping Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation.." and "Nothing Even Matters" spoke to me in new ways. Teedra Moses' "Be Your Girl" defined an incredible summer in 2004 that was filled with opulent living, excessive drinking, and all around debauchery. I know some of y'all remember.

It's just amazing what music can do for you. There are so many countless memories... All I want to do is define someone else's life through my music in the same way artists have done for me and pay it forward.

Current Playlist
"Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready) - Alicia Keys
"Spotlight" - Gucci Mane Feat. Usher
"So Beautiful" - Musiq Soulchild
"Cloud 9" - me
"Only In Dreams" - Weezer
"Rich off Cocaine" - Rick Ross

No comments: