Happy New Year y'all! So everyone is compiling lists of songs and albums of the decade, but not me. I'm sticking to my guns and doing a top ten of the songs which defined my year, and joints I ran into the ground. So here you go...
10. "Pretty Wings" by Maxwell - Here's a song that I wasn't crazy about when it came out, but after a very recent conversation with someone, I heard and felt the joint in a different light. The last few weeks of '09 were all about this joint
9. "His Dream" by Asher Roth - in a genre that rarely produces beautiful songs, here's one. This may be the most genuine parent song since "Dear Mama"... yeah I said it! I personally think considering his audience, this would have been the perfect follow up to " I Love College"
8. "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z feat Alicia Keys - y'all already know
7. "Lions, Tigers, and Bears" by Jazmine Sullivan - Sorry Drizzy, but I made a mistake and this song is more deserving. I literally ran this song into the ground during the 1st half of the year. No other song has articulated the fear of love like this one...real talk.
6. "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon - here's a song that could either get me excited or on the verge of tears. I always think of only 1 person when I hear this... and I doubt they know it
5. "So Beautiful" by Musiq Soulchild - my ode to a very special person
4. "Fool of Me" by Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Ok, this didn't come out this year' but it sure defined mines. With all the tumultous and heart wrenching moments I experienced this year, this encompassed all my feelings. Listening to it now, I'm taken back to that place...
3. "Best I Ever Had" by Drake -He made the list which is a testament to his incredible songwriting. This song defined my spring & summer... ;-)
2. "Hometown" by me - Yeah, it may seem arrogant or cocky, but I think this is an amazing record. I think it does what many Hip-Hop records can't or will ever do
1. "Fancy" by The Dream - no emotional attachment to this one, but on tough days, it's relaxing and makes me unwind. I play this so religiously, it must be criminal at this point