Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I Salute Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All


To be honest, I didn't know much about them beyond Tyler the Creator's "Yonkers" video. After a bit of investigating, I discovered Frank Ocean is ILLY and Earl Sweatshirt is a "spitta". Call me a bandwagon jumper, but I like their courageous, unabashed, and unapologetic "we don't need you" attitude. It strikes a chord because its truly the rebellious spirit of Hip-Hop at it's core. I'm officially convinced they must know black magic or alchemy because they've seemingly turned 1 look into a performance on Jimmy Fallon, a billboard cover, & an MTV special. Best of all, they've negotiated "the deal" I thought Drake or Wiz would've set the precedent for. And for that, I salute them: Congratulations!!!

Here's what their manager Chris Clancy had to say about their new Sony deal:

"It's based on getting the distribution deal we've always envisioned that allows the group to "sign themselves" to their own company and keep their masters. They will have 100% creative control of all aspects of their music, art, and release schedule with no 3rd party participation in outside business. Freedom and ownership was the whole point. Red and Sony know that its in everyone's best interest to maintain the group's authenticity and control. They built it, they deserve it. There's no cheesy hooks or fluorescent liquor product placements in the works... It's about to be fun... and different..."

This officially marks the beginning of the industry's apocalypse!!

PS: Peep Tyler on the piano

Source: Billboard

No comments: