Thursday, April 22, 2010

Finding A Solution...

So as usual, I'm up in the wee hours of the morning and my mind is racing. I'm frustrated. I'm inspired. I'm disheartened. I'm optimistic. I'm clueless!!!

I love music!!! I think this is common knowledge to most people that know me. I'm also good at what I do. However, there's a huge disconnect. Late last summer, the "Skinny Jeans" video did 20,000 views on YouTube in 2 weeks, and it didn't even get posted on Hip-Hop's most popular blog. I understand that it was controversial which helped, but look at my peers' videos and compare their stats. Not to toot my own horn, but comparatively speaking, they're not close. A few months later, I dropped The British Invasion and it was critically received. I remember checking my email and getting a Google alert informing me MTV posted it! Despite these small milestones, what does it all mean? You would think this would translate into something more, but as I type this I still only have a couple hundred fans and followers on Facebook and Twitter respectively.

Where are the thousands that viewed the vid or the thousands that downloaded the Invasion? Hence, the disconnect.

I must be doing something wrong. Seriously, I must. I'm amazed that when the keywords "the + incomparable" are typed into Google, I'm suggested before Christ. If you don't believe me, check for yourself *Smh* The world we live in!!! With all this said, when will I crack the glass ceiling? There's obviously some type of buzz or momentum, but what do I need to do to transition? Do I need a superstar co-sign? Am I working with the wrong people? Am I not doing enough? I'm stumped, and it just doesn't make much sense.

Somebody, anybody...help me find a solution

1 comment:

SelfHood said...

Shake, you gotta get an album out or something. These mixtapes are excellent, so i think you gotta take a step up to a full LP, you'll definitely get support on it man