Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You Must...

yeah... so the truth is "You Must Love Me" like the Jay-Z song. I've known this, but it becomes more apparent at some of the most unlikely moments. Despite what I consider childish behavior at times, I see your real emotions. So for every silly FB status you may put up, it's really just an attempt to get my attention. So even if I don't react, I do notice them. And for every wild text message or voicemail you've left me, it shows me that you're not only thinking of me but miss me. For every bizarre question you may ask, it's really your way of asking to be involved. I get it. You can deny it, but I see it.

I had a conversation with a friend recently about one of my favorite couples. There was an incident once where I had to become moderator and help dissolve an issue. Let's just say it was a wild one that almost got physical. I'm not talking domestic violence either folks, but one where the husband was going to whoop another dude's arse. To keep it simple, here's the abridged version of the story...
One night while we were out partying with the wife's co-workers, a co-worker made a slick remark. My homie quickly reacted, and was ready to tear dude's head off. In the end, it created a scene, embarrassed his wife, and ultimately changed how she would approach work related events. Granted, my dude didn't make the best decision in how he reacted considering it involved his wife's career, but I understood the sentiment behind his action. In his mind, he was justifiably defending his wife. Though it wasn't the most appropriate way to handle it, his intent was noble.

The moral of the story is, people express their love in unconventional ways. Sometimes it can be misdirected, misunderstood, and miscommunicated. Sometimes we have to simply look beyond the obvious, and see the intent. Although we may prefer to be smothered with attention, hugs, kisses, and all that good stuff, I can appreciate the less obvious signs like jealousy about my blog posts or the weird messages left in my inbox. It's such a beautiful thing, and I get it.

No comments: