Friday, July 4, 2008

Today's Music?

No, this is not another rant about how awful music is. Well sort of.... I was just thinking that despite my personal preferences, today's youth does have music that's defining their lives. In a few years, "Walk It Out", "Crank Dat", "This Is Why I'm Hot", "A Bay Bay" & countless others will be played in succession by some DJ in a club, and those same kids turned adults, will lose their minds. Granted the music may not have substance, and the artists may not have careers, but they are certainly defining a time. Its an era of music predicated on the dance associated with the song and memories of "when you 1st saw it on youtube." I've come to grips with this and I'm not mad....I just want balance, more substance without sacrificing the commercial viability, and something respectable. Something that will truly resonate with people other than "I remember the dance, but not the artist's name". Hopefully I will contribute to delivering this...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good outlook. now matter how bad it may be, todays state of hip hop is here to stay. all we can do is try to positively contribute to it. - Anwar